My head is filled with so many things, that the only way I could organize this post was with numbers. I figured a mind-map wouldn’t fit on the screen.
1. Yesterday was International Kissing Day. I wish I had known! Luckily, since we’re googley-eyed newlyweds, we “accidentally” celebrated anyway. I think every day should be International Kissing Day.
2. Last week we were both sick with head colds, so we spent most evenings cuddled in bed, watching The Adjustment Bureau, Unknown, and two nights of Schindler’s List (plus a documentary in the DVD extras). Schindler’s List may be one of the most powerful movies I’ve ever seen, but Mr. Right and I had nightmares for two nights and I felt incredibly stressed for a few days (I’m a total softie when it comes to blood, guts, and sad movies). But, movies like that and Hotel Rwanda should be required viewing for everybody… a good reminder that people, no matter their color, gender, nationality, political affiliation or socioeconomic status, are still just like me and should be treated with compassion. And a reminder that power in the wrong hands can be devastating.
3. I got to quilt for an entire day on Saturday. It was absolutely glorious. I have huge urges to create things, and being able to work uninterrupted for hours at a time on a project is a huge release for me. I think I’m going to make it into a baby quilt (not for me… no announcements here) instead of doing a twin-size as previously planned. (ps- the colors on this “cutesy” iPhone picture are a bit washed out)
I’ve already got a hankering to begin the next one, which I think may be a yo-yo quilt.
4. We had a wonderfully normal 4th of July holiday. After a year of extremes (extreme health issues, extreme home makeover), I’ve felt like Mr. Right and I seem to have hit our married couple stride and are enjoying “normal” newlywed life. Friday night he cooked me a fabulous steak dinner and we watched a movie, Saturday night (after my quilting marathon) we had a couple from church over and got to hear about the two years they spent living in Vanuatu. What an adventure.
(photo borrowed from sweet Courtney @ church)
Sunday we had two church parties, and during the latter one Mr. Right and I schooled everybody in speed scrabble. Monday we helped friends unpack their new home and then spent the afternoon/evening laying out by the pool at my parents’ house and enjoying a big family dinner.
We topped off the weekend by riding bikes out to the lake by our house, lying on a picnic blanket and watching fireworks. It was a moment I wish I could bottle and relive over and over… both because of the fireworks and because of the cute boy lying next to me holding my hand.
Sigh. What a wonderful weekend.
5. Mr. Right and I are total planners. So much, in fact, that I can tell you what we’re doing every weekend between now and Labor Day. It’s just the way we roll. Which is why nights like last night are so special – instead of being responsible adults and doing responsible adult things, we decided at the very last minute to drop everything and go out to sushi and a movie (Transformers)… on a school night. Poor Mr. Right still had to stay up past midnight to finish his homework, but it was worth it (of course, easy for me to say, I was back home and asleep by 10:30). I sure do love that boy, in case you haven’t noticed.
6. Project 115: I had a relapse. I’m going to admit it. I haven’t gained anything back, but I haven’t worked out in more than two weeks – first because we house sat far away from our gym, then because I got sick with a headcold… and after being so good about watching what I eat, I had a total relapse over the 4th weekend and ate my weight in desserts and barbecue. But this morning I was back at spin class, and I am determined to be back on the wagon. I still have 12 pounds to lose… and I’m all in. I promise. For real. I have a closet full of clothes that are just begging me to fit back into.
7. One more thing… we’ve been doing the Dave Ramsey envelope system for months now, and we absolutely love it. So easy, so guilt-free when I want to spend my money, and I don’t waste time adding up all my debit card $5 purchases to figure out where I spent my money each month. It really works for us. But this week, I lost my envelope! I have one more week until the new budget cycle and I can’t find my lunch/pedicure/Starbucks/random-I-want-to-buy-this envelope ANYWHERE! Could be a long week of PBJ sandwiches for me, huh? If you find an envelope that says “Bethe’s Blow Money” please return it ASAP.